jean by david


Literally sitting on the couch watching the rather contrived made - for - TV BBC4 movie, 'We Take Manhattan' with my mother. The movie concerns the then relatively unknown David Bailey and Jean Shrimpton's trip to Manhattan for a Vogue shoot in 1962. Curiosity got the better of me and I had to find the original photoshoot. Turns out I was quite familiar with some of the shots, as I reckon most people would be too, but I had never before seen the above two images which are my favourite. These two, especially the first, could fit well and truly into any editorial in 2012. Several of the shots in the shoot blur the boundary between fashion and street photography, possessing something of the instantaneous and vital nature of the latter. They say style is timeless. Proven here, I think.

Blog Archive